(SAN FRANCISCO) – The San Francisco Foundation is saluting the Bay Area’s boldest. Since 1948 we’ve seed funded some of the most beloved institutions in the Bay Area, including KQED, SF Bicycle Coalition, the Bay Area Discovery Museum, and the Exploratorium, to name a few.
We’ll be joined by #BayAreaBold institutions and a buzzworthy line-up of storytellers, music, and fun, including captivating Bay Area love stories from poet and playwright Chinaka Hodge, writer Hiya Swanhuyser, musician Thao Nguyen, and more.
WHAT: The San Francisco Foundation’s #BayAreaBold NightLife
WHEN: Thursday, September 4, 2014, 6-10pm
WHERE: California Academy of Sciences
- Highlights from #BayAreaBold institutions like KQED. In 1953 two guys had a bold idea. They wanted to put the Bay Area on the map as one of the first places in the nation to harness the power of television to educate and inspire residents. The Challenge: San Francisco had no such station, no infrastructure, let alone staff to step up and take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. If civic leaders couldn’t find the will or the resources to start a broadcast station, the Ford funding would go to another city. They appealed for funding from The San Francisco Foundation to put the Bay Area in the running for this opportunity. Two weeks later the Foundation approved a $12,000 start-up grant, providing the capital to hire a staff and to apply for a grant from the Ford Foundation. And today, 60 years later, KQED has become one of the most respected public media institutions in the country.
- Notable, buzzworthy Bay Area locals share their Bay Area love stories including poet and playwright Chinaka Hodge, writer Hiya Swanhuyser, musician Thao Nguyen, Anthony Bedard, John Reichmuth and music by Carletta Sue Kay emcees Arline Klatte and Beth Lisick, and musical director Marc Capelle, in partnership with Porchlight.
- The Bold Italic will be turning out wacky Bay Area-themed Mad Libs and running their human powered treat machine to test guests’ local knowledge.
- SmileBooth will have an amazing photo .gif booth on-site where guests can show their Bay Area pride.
- The Poetry Store will write original, custom love poems for guests
- San Franpsycho will be screen printing
- The amazing DJs from Motown Mondays will be play retro-inspired hits
The San Francisco Foundation (TSFF) is the community foundation serving the Bay Area since 1948, granting more than $808 million over the past ten years. Through the generosity and vision of our donors, both past and present, TSFF granted $86.8 million in fiscal year 2013. TSFF brings together donors and builds on community assets through grantmaking, leveraging, public policy, advocacy, and leadership development to make a greater impact in our community. By focusing on people, organizations, neighborhoods, and policy, advocacy and organizing, the Foundation addresses community needs in the areas of community health, education, arts and culture, community development, and the environment. In response to the economic downturn, TSFF is also focusing funding on safety net partners, job creation and training, and mortgage foreclosure relief and neighborhood preservation. sff.org