On November 25, as Americans wrapped up our Thanksgiving holiday weekend, we saw horrifying photos of refugees – including barefoot toddlers—running from tear gas that U.S. border protection agents had hurled across the San Diego-Tijuana border. This attack on Central American migrants and their children seeking asylum is profoundly disturbing and counters our country’s founding values of providing safe haven and opportunity for newcomers.
The incident and the administration’s increased militarization of the border are part of a sweeping anti-immigrant, anti-refugee agenda that begs the question: who are we excluding, and why?
Knowing that immigrants are deeply valuable to the Bay Area’s culture, economy and its very soul, our foundation has always invested in, and helped defend the rights of Bay Area immigrants. Now more than ever, it’s imperative that we stand together for an America that wholeheartedly embraces all of us because of, rather than in spite of, our diversity.
The Bay Area and California are at the forefront of the fight for human and civil rights during these challenging times. This giving season, please join us in supporting the following Bay Area nonprofits that are upholding the American promise of due process and equity. You can feel confident making gifts to these organizations, which we have thoroughly vetted.
OUR RECOMMENDATIONS: BAY AREA ORGANIZATIONS
- Central American Resource Center of Northern California responds to the needs, rights and aspirations of immigrant families in the Bay Area, including unaccompanied migrant children, through direct services, community development and advocacy.
- Centro Legal de la Raza advances the rights of immigrant, low-income, and Latino communities in northern and central California. Our foundation helps fund Centro Legal’s legal screenings, Know Your Rights workshops, and deportation defense in Alameda County.
- Interfaith Movement for Human Integrity connects clergy and people of faith to social justice work, with the goal of making the both the criminal justice and immigration systems fair and humane.
- Stand Together Contra Costa provides deportation-defense and a 24-hour hotline for immigrant families in need of immediate legal assistance. The program is managed by the county’s public defender’s office and Catholic Charities of the East Bay.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Asian Law Caucus is the nation’s oldest legal civil rights organization serving the Asian Pacific American community. Its immigrant legal services defend against deportation as well as discrimination in the name of national security.
- Black Alliance for Just Immigration works with African American and black immigrant communities for racial, social and economic justice, and works with faith communities to harness their prophetic voice.
- The San Francisco Foundation’s Rapid Response Fund, which will quickly deploy your dollars to support Bay Area residents targeted by anti-immigrant policies.