Since our inception, we have worked with generations of donors to create a better, more inclusive Bay Area and beyond. Whether you are a new or experienced donor, we meet you where you are by providing customized, easy and empowering philanthropic service. We offer a number of giving tools, including our Give Guides (see below to download the guides), for individuals, families and businesses.
Ways To Give
Click on the sections below to learn more about the ways to give.
Open a Fund
- Donor Advised Fund: For donors seeking active involvement in philanthropy, donor advised funds are a flexible giving vehicle that will help you to achieve your philanthropic goals.
- Customized Funds: For donors wishing to create a fund to support specific named areas of interest or particular nonprofits in an efficient and reliable fashion, customized funds can be endowed to last in perpetuity or non-endowed to be spent over time. Minimum fund size varies depending on whether a fund is endowed or non-endowed.
Give to the Foundation or Other Existing Funds
- Foundation Programs: For donors wishing to directly support the San Francisco Foundation’s work advancing racial equity and economic inclusion.
- Give to an Existing Fund: For donors seeking to give to existing funds that are administered by the San Francisco Foundation.
- Bay Area Leads Fund: For donors wishing to support our increased civic leadership activities and strategic initiatives required to address some of the most intractable issues in the region.
- Bay Area Community Impact Fund: When you have a donor advised fund with the San Francisco Foundation, you can also invest in the Bay Area through our Bay Area Community Impact Fund to make impact investments in organizations and projects that align with our equity agenda.
Include the Foundation or Your Fund in Your Estate Plan
- Estate Planning: For donors who wish to provide sustaining, impactful support in perpetuity for the future needs of a specific organization or an issue that you select.
Create a Supporting Organization
- For donors wishing to establish a separate giving entity, similar to a private foundation, within the San Francisco Foundation.
Give Guides: SFF Recommendations for Strategic Giving
Racial Justice Give Guide – The organizations featured in this guide are doing critical, responsive work during the pandemic, economic collapse, and racial justice uprisings. Download Give Guide.
Democracy and Racial Justice Give Guide – The organizations featured in this guide are working to mobilize resources and people to protect and improve our democracy. Download Give Guide.
Election Response Give Guide – Funding options in this guide include organizations that work to help preserve democracy at the national, state, and local levels. Download Give Guide.
In addition, we provide giving options and ways to support community groups responding to AAPI violence and hate and organizations reimagining public safety, justice, and advocacy. Click on the links to read our statements to those recent events that include giving options and ways to support.
What To Give
Donors have a variety of giving options to choose from when creating a new giving fund or adding to an existing fund. We accept a range of assets to make giving convenient and simple. Donors can contribute:
- Cash/credit card
- Closely held stock
- Mutual funds
- Partnership interests
- Pre-IPO stock
- Real estate
To discuss more about the ways to give or to identify the best vehicle for your giving, please contact us at donorservices[at]sff.org or (415) 733-8590.