Since our inception, we have worked with generations of donors to create a better, more inclusive Bay Area and beyond. Whether you’re a new or experienced donor, we meet you where you are by providing customized, easy and empowering philanthropic service. We offer a number of giving tools, including our Giving Guides (see sidebar to download guides), for individuals, families and businesses.
Ways To Give
Click on the sections below to learn more about the ways to give.
Open a Fund
- Donor Advised Fund: For donors seeking active involvement in philanthropy, donor advised funds are a flexible giving vehicle that will help you to achieve your philanthropic goals.
- Customized Funds: For donors wishing to create a fund to support specific named areas of interest or particular nonprofits in an efficient and reliable fashion, customized funds can be endowed to last in perpetuity or non-endowed to be spent over time. Minimum fund size varies depending on whether a fund is endowed or non-endowed.
Give to the Foundation or Other Existing Funds
- Foundation Programs: For donors wishing to directly support the San Francisco Foundation’s work advancing racial equity and economic inclusion.
- Give to an Existing Fund: For donors seeking to give to existing funds that are administered by the San Francisco Foundation.
- Bay Area Leads Fund: For donors wishing to support our increased civic leadership activities and strategic initiatives required to address some of the most intractable issues in the region.
Include the Foundation or Your Fund in Your Estate Plan
- Estate Planning: For donors who wish to provide sustaining, impactful support in perpetuity for the future needs of a specific organization or an issue that you select.
Create a Supporting Organization
- For donors wishing to establish a separate giving entity, similar to a private foundation, within the San Francisco Foundation.
What To Give
Donors have a variety of giving options to choose from when creating a new giving fund or adding to an existing fund. We accept a range of assets to make giving convenient and simple. Donors can contribute:
- Cash/credit card
- Closely held stock
- Mutual funds
- Partnership interests
- Pre-IPO stock
- Real estate
To discuss more about the ways to give or to identify the best vehicle for your giving, please contact us at donorservices[at]sff.org or (415) 733-8590.