The San Francisco Foundation’s Bay Area Leads Fund underwrites the foundation’s leadership work—from advocating for equitable policies, to research and community engagement. The fund builds on grantmaking, donor support, and impact investing tools to create a Bay Area where everyone thrives. We do this by vocalizing our support for equitable policies, producing timely research about equity in the Bay Area, convening our public and private partners, and influencing public opinion to build support for our vision of an inclusive Bay Area.
In 2014, we began holding a series of listening sessions throughout the Bay Area and brought together more than 1,000 residents to hear firsthand about life in the Bay Area— our strengths, struggles, and our hopes for the future. One issue rose to the surface: our region lacked a leader that was able to work across sectors and advance equity on a broader, faster scale. We heard the community’s call for bolder leadership and established the Bay Area Leads Fund.
The fund helps make possible the following leadership activities:
- Advocacy: the fund helps us push for policies that create a Bay Area where everyone can get a good job, live in a safe and affordable home, and exercise their political voice.
- Research: the fund helps make possible the Bay Area Equity Atlas, a resource for timely, disaggregated data about equity in the Bay Area. The Equity Atlas is a partnership between San Francisco Foundation, PolicyLink, and USC’s Equity Research Institute.
- Convenings: the fund has made possible listening sessions throughout the Bay Area that have gathered 1,000 residents, a dialogue series featuring top thought leaders, in partnership with the Commonwealth Club and KQED, as well as community summits to mobilize the vote during the 2020 election year.
In Fiscal Year 2023, the fund raised nearly $837,000 to help inform public opinion and advocate for systemic change across the Bay Area. These unprecedented times have made clear that this work is more urgent and critical than ever.
Support the Bay Area Leads Fund
- Make a gift through your Donor Advised Fund to The San Francisco Foundation and designate “Bay Area Leads Fund” as the purpose.
- Make a gift online using the Donation Form for Bay Area Leads Fund below.
- Make a gift through your Individual Retirement Account. See our detailed instructions or email sdustman[at]sff.org.
- Send a check payable to the San Francisco Foundation and specify “Bay Area Leads Fund” in the memo line of the check. See our donation mailing address.
- Contact us to discuss contributions of other assets, such as securities.
- Include a bequest to Bay Area Leads through your estate plan. Contact sdustman[at]sff.org for personalized bequest language.
- Join our Donor Dialogues and Briefings to reflect and learn about racial equity and explore the implications for your philanthropy. Email ckelliher[at]sff.org to learn more.
Please note: Due to third-party merchant processing fees for credit card transactions, the amount added to the fund you select will be reduced by any fees charged. The base fee charged is 4.2020%, but can be higher depending on the type of credit card and the card program.