Making grants to nonprofit organizations is just one of the ways that donors can support our local community. When you have a donor advised fund with the San Francisco Foundation, you can also invest in the Bay Area through our Bay Area Community Impact Fund.
Our Bay Area Community Impact Fund uses foundation and donor funds to make impact investments in organizations and projects that align with our equity agenda. By providing nonprofits and social enterprises with access to low-interest, long-term loans, our fund enables organizations to expand their activities and finance high-impact projects. Better yet, as loans are repaid, our fund makes new investments, recycling capital back into communities. For capital not used in direct investments, we invest in other mission-aligned assets, such as insured deposits in local community banks and credit unions.
The Bay Area Community Impact Fund is an important complement to our grantmaking, supporting our mission and amplifying our programmatic impact in a sustainable way. Since 2009, our impact investments have helped to create and preserve affordable housing, jobs, and sustainable communities in the Bay Area.
- Read our Bay Area Community Impact Fund 2022 Report: Expanding Our Impact Investments
- Download a PDF to learn more about the Bay Area Community Impact Fund
- Learn how to apply for a loan
Read stories about the fund’s borrowers and their impact. Here are some stories to highlight:
- Pacific Community Ventures (PCV): Jobs and small business preservation
- Northeast Community Federal Credit Union: Jobs and small business preservation
- Oakland Community Land Trust: Wealth-building and affordable housing
- ICA: Jobs and small business preservation
- Partnership for the Bay’s Future: Affordable housing
The minimum investment in our fund is $50,000 for five years. Money invested in the fund will incur no additional fees beyond standard donor advised fund fees. Any returns over the fund’s direct operating costs will be shared with each investor quarterly via distributions to donor advised funds.
For more information about investing in the Bay Area Community Impact Fund, contact the Philanthropy and Gift Planning team at (415) 733-8590 or email donorservices[at]sff.org.